Share this page on facebook
Daily News
Knife-wielding man who threatened fishermen charged PDF Print E-mail
Daily News
Written by BILL SCHANEN IV   
Wednesday, 18 October 2017 18:01

Campbellsport resident chased men on breakwater, said he wanted cops to shoot him, complaint says

    A suicidal, knife-wielding man accused of chasing and threatening to kill two people on Port Washington’s lakefront last week now faces criminal charges in Ozaukee County Circuit Court.
    Douglas M. Schacht, 63, of Cambellsport, is charged with two felony counts of second-degree recklessly endangering safety and two misdemeanor counts of resisting arrest.
    A man told officers that on Tuesday, Oct. 10, he had been fishing on the breakwater and, at about 9:30 a.m., was walking to shore when he encountered Schacht, who was carrying what authorities described as a 12-inch butcher knife, the complaint states.
    The man said Schacht told him he could not leave the breakwater, and when the man said he was leaving anyway, Schacht told him, “No. If you do, I will kill you,” the complaint states.
    The man evaded Schacht by running around the wave-breaking wall and off the breakwater with Schacht chasing him.
    Another man, who was near NewPort Shores restaurant at the foot of the breakwater, said he saw the fisherman being chased by Schacht. Schacht then ran toward him and began slashing at him with the knife, according to the complaint.
    The man said he ran onto the breakwater and was heading toward the lighthouse when police officers arrived.
    Three officers cornered Schacht on the breakwater and ordered him to put the knife down. At one point Schacht dropped the knife, but then he picked it up again, prompting officers to warn him that they would shoot if he came toward them with the weapon, the complaint states.
    Eventually Schacht, who during the standoff said he wanted to jump in the lake and die, put the knife down and was arrested, according to the complaint. He refused to walk off the breakwater and had to be carried by officers.
    Schacht had apparently come to Port Washington to jump into the lake, then became upset when the first fisherman he encountered ruined his plan, Port Washington Police Chief Kevin Hingiss said. Schacht later said that he wanted police to shoot him and allow him to die, the complaint states.
    Officers found a note in his car stating his intentions and were told by his wife that he had mental health problems, Hingiss said.
    Schacht was taken to the Winnebago Mental Health Institute for a psychiatric evaluation, police said, and had yet to be transferred to the Ozaukee County jail as of earlier this week.
    Second-degree recklessly endangering safety is punishable by a maximum five years in prison and five years of extended supervision.   Daily Press        

 
Police disarm suicidal, knife-wielding man on breakwater PDF Print E-mail
Daily News
Written by KRISTYN HALBIG ZIEHM   
Wednesday, 11 October 2017 18:47


    A 63-year-old Kewaskum man who authorities said tried to commit suicide by cop on the Port Washington lakefront Tuesday is undergoing a psychiatric evaluation at the Winnebago Mental Health Institute.
    Port Police Chief Kevin Hingiss said the man originally intended to jump off the breakwater into the water, but chased a fisherman off the structure while brandishing a 12-inch knife. He later told officers he was upset that the fisherman had ruined his plan.
    The man, still brandishing the knife,  then came onto the NewPort Shores parking lot and chased another fisherman from the area, Hingiss said.
    The second fisherman had seen what occurred on the breakwater and notified police, he said.    
    When officers arrived, they ordered the man to drop the knife but he refused,  telling the officers he also had a gun, Hingiss said.
    Eventually, the man dropped the knife and was taken into custody, he said.
    “Luckily, he did it in time or he might have gotten his wish,” Hingiss said.
    The man had left a note in his car outlining his intention, Hingiss said. His wife told police he had other mental health issues.
    The man was taken to the hospital before being transferred to Winnebago, Hingiss said.
    Police have asked the Ozaukee County District Attorney’s officer to charge the man with two counts of first-degree recklessly endangering safety, two counts of endangering safety by use of a weapon, disorderly conduct and resisting arrest, Hingiss added. Daily Press

 
Grafton police search for suspect in attempted carjacking PDF Print E-mail
Daily News
Written by JOE POIRIER   
Wednesday, 11 October 2017 18:45


    Police continue to search this week for a man who attempted to carjack a sport utility vehicle at gunpoint from a female driver at approximately 6:45 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 6, in the parking lot in front of Ulta Beauty and Pier 1 Imports on Port Washington Road in Grafton.
    According to Grafton Police Department’s Capt. Joe Gabrish, the suspect is described as a black male with a slender build and is about six-foot-two. He was wearing a dark-colored hoodie and light-colored pants.
    Gabrish said the victim was sitting in her car, when an SUV pulled up next to her. The suspect exited the vehicle and walked to the driver side of the victim’s vehicle with a gun. According to Gabrish, the victim said it was a semi-automatic weapon.
    During the incident, a female bystander screamed, which distracted the suspect and allowed for the victim to drive away. Gabrish said the suspect left immediately and did not commit any other crimes in the area.
    According to Gabrish, the Grafton Police Department is working with other communities to see if there have been any similar incidents with the suspect.
    “We currently don’t have any corresponding crimes with the same situation in other communities,” Gabrish said. “Typically these guys steal these cars and abandon them so it’s kind of hard to match up.”
    Anyone who has any information about the incident should call the Grafton Police Department at (262) 375-5320. Daily Press

 
Opening on Port Council attracts just one candidate PDF Print E-mail
Daily News
Written by KRISTYN HALBIG ZIEHM   
Wednesday, 11 October 2017 18:43

Residents of city’s 4th District have until 5 p.m. Friday, Oct. 20, to apply

    Only one person has applied to fill Port Washington’s 4th District aldermanic seat, which was vacated by Ald. Doug Biggs on Sept. 15.
    That person is Dan Benning, 1012 Jade St., who in his letter of application noted he has been a resident of the city and the district for 9-1/2 years.
    Benning said he has been employed by Johnson Controls for the past 28 years, most recently as an information technology director, and is involved in a variety of community activities.
    He has worked with teams staging the annual Port Christmas parade through Port Main Street Inc., Benning said, and served in various roles with Grand Avenue United Methodist Church.
    Applications for the seat representing the 4th District, which encompasses much of the city’s south and southeast sides, are due at City Hall by 5 p.m. Friday, Oct. 20.
    The Common Council will interview applicants at their Tuesday, Nov.  7, meeting and could appoint a new alderman that night.
    The new alderman would serve until April, when Biggs’ term would have expired.
    Candidates for the spring election for the seat can begin to circulate nomination papers beginning Dec. 1. Daily Press

 
Deal for man who sparked standoff too soft, judge says PDF Print E-mail
Daily News
Written by BILL SCHANEN IV   
Wednesday, 04 October 2017 18:16

 Malloy doubles jail recommendation for Port resident who fired shots

    No one was asking for a prison sentence, but the question in an Ozaukee County courtroom last week was how much jail time, if any, should be served by a 49-year-old Port Washington man who in January sparked a nearly six-hour standoff with police by repeatedly firing a handgun outside his Grand Avenue home while in a drunken stupor.
    Assistant District Attorney Shannon Whitworth and defense attorney Jonathan LaVoy agreed that 30 days in the county jail as a condition of a two-year period of probation was sufficient punishment for Richard W. Conrad, who was arrested Jan. 29 after officers fired tear gas into his house.
    “Mr. Conrad is otherwise a very good person,” LaVoy said during the Sept. 25 sentencing hearing, noting that the Wisconsin Department of Corrections agent who authored a presentence report did not recommend time behind bars.
    But Ozaukee County Circuit Judge Paul  Malloy said 30 days in jail is not enough of a punishment for a man who carelessly wielded a gun with a blood alcohol level of .332, more than four times higher than the legal threshold for intoxication of .08.
    “A .332 blood alcohol level and a firearm — I think anybody would objectively say that’s a disaster waiting to happen,” Malloy said. “He was not just intoxicated, he was highly intoxicated and handling a firearm in the community ....
    “This is a big deal. There’s no putting window dressing on this.”
    Malloy sentenced Conrad, who pleaded guilty in July to one felony count of intentionally obstructing emergency personnel and a misdemeanor count of using a firearm while intoxicated, to two years probation and ordered him to serve six months in the county jail with Huber work-release privileges.
    Malloy also ordered Conrad to maintain absolute sobriety, participate in all counseling deemed necessary and submit to random alcohol and drug testing during probation. In addition, Conrad was ordered to surrender all his guns and ammunition, which LaVoy said he has already done.
    The judge also gave Conrad a powerful incentive to stay out of trouble. Following the recommendation of Whitworth and LaVoy, Malloy sentenced Conrad to 1-1/2 years in prison and two years of extended supervision, but stayed the sentence, which means Conrad will only have to serve time in prison if he violates the rules of his probation.
    Police were called to Conrad’s house in the 900 block of West Grand Avenue at 6:30 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 29, after one of his neighbors reported hearing a gunshot and finding Conrad outside his house, drunk and making comments about wanting to “end it,” according to the criminal complaint.
    The neighbor said after he retreated to his house and locked the door, he heard several more gunshots.
    Police cordoned off the neighborhood, told residents to remain in their homes and away from windows and called the Ozaukee County SWAT team.
    During the standoff, officers tried unsuccessfully to talk with Conrad. Eventually they fired tear gas canisters and tossed robotic cameras into the house.
    Port Washington Police Chief Kevin Hingiss said officers eventually saw Conrad walking through the house unarmed and initiated a conversation with him. Conrad invited them in, but instead of entering the house, officers were able to grab Conrad when he came to the door.
    Officers found a number of guns in the house, including the .40 caliber handgun that Conrad had fired, Hingiss said.
    Conrad, who was hospitalized, then jailed, has been free since posting $5,000 bail on Feb. 13.
    Arguing last week in favor of his recommendation that Conrad be supervised for two years, Whitworth noted Conrad struggles with depression, “self-medicates” with alcohol and owned several weapons.
    “We feel two years probation is not an unreasonable amount of time to keep him monitored,” Whitworth said.
    Conrad said he has learned an important lesson.
    “It was a bad night,” he said, referring to the evening of the standoff. “I realize what I did was very serious. I’ve learned that alcohol and me just don’t mix. It doesn’t help my depression; it makes it worse.” Daily Press
    
        
   

 
County asked to join legal fight against drug makers PDF Print E-mail
Daily News
Written by BILL SCHANEN IV   
Wednesday, 04 October 2017 18:14

Counties argue that irresponsible companies fuel addiction crisis that costs billions of dollars

For years, Ozaukee County has fought in criminal court to lock up drug dealers who peddle narcotic pain pills and heroin to feed a seemingly insatiable demand for addictive opioids.
    Now the county is being asked to join other counties in a civil court battle against the pharmaceutical companies that make and market the drugs blamed for a national addiction epidemic that is sapping the local, state and federal agencies tasked with helping those whose lives have been shattered by opioids, a class of drugs that includes prescription pain-killers such as oxycodone and morphine, as well as illegal drugs like heroin.
    “Opioid addiction and mental health issues, which are pretty much intertwined,  drive a significant amount of our budget,” County Administrator Jason Dzwinel said. “Look at our case load in the child protective services and you’ll see it’s drastically up. We don’t have enough foster homes for kids. This is being driven by mental health problems and opioid addiction.”
    The County Board was asked Wednesday to sign onto a lawsuit being organized by the Wisconsin Counties Association against so-called Big Pharma, the pharmaceutical companies that, according to background information distributed to supervisors, “flooded the market with highly addictive drugs claiming they were safe and efficacious for long-term use, manufactured studies to support these false claims and knowingly misrepresented the addictive nature of these drugs.
    “As a result of these misrepresentations, millions of American lives have been impacted or destroyed. The opioid epidemic has in turn imposed huge costs on both county and state governments around the country ....”
    The goal of the lawsuit is to “hold Pharma responsible for their role in creating the opioid epidemic and return to the counties the money spent battling the epidemic at the expense of other critical programming,” according to county documents.
    Ozaukee County and others that join the lawsuit would not bankroll the legal effort. Instead, the law firms representing the counties — the Milwaukee-area firms of van Briesen & Roper and Crueger Dickinson and the national firm of Simmons Hanly Conroy — would bear all costs of litigation and be reimbursed only if there is a judgment in the plaintiff’s favor.
    The responsibility of the counties involved in the lawsuit would be to work with lawyers to document the cost of dealing with opioid addiction. Daily Press   
    
   

 
<< Start < Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next > End >>

Page 5 of 109