Share this page on facebook
Ex-Grafton man survives bear attack, winds up in the spotlight PDF Print E-mail
Daily News
Written by JOE POIRIER   
Wednesday, 17 January 2018 19:37

Florida resident says he’s glad to be alive, surprised to be the subject of headlines

    After surviving a black bear attack last week, former Grafton resident Andy Meunier is glad to be alive and he’s even more surprised the story is making headlines around the world.
    “I can’t believe this is getting international attention,” Meunier said from his home in Naples, Fla.
    At about 11 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 9, Meunier was letting his Pomeranian out of the house when he was blindsided by a 250-pound bear.
    “When I was closing the door I heard the dog growl and jump back into the house, which I thought was a little odd,” he said. “When I turned around I saw a black bear pretty much in my face and I thought, ‘I got to get out of here.’ But before I could do that, the bear hit me in the face.”
    Meunier said the blow knocked him back into his home and he was able to secure the door.
    “I didn’t even realize, at the time, that I was bleeding until I looked in the mirror — then I felt like I was standing in a shower because the blood was running down my face,” he said.
    After calling 911, Meunier spent four hours in the hospital, and received 41 stitches to his face and right ear.
    “I never thought I was going to die because it happened so fast and I didn’t have any time to think about it,” he said.
    The Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission is patrolling the area surrounding his home at night and have set up bear traps with donuts for bait.
    “Unfortunately, when they find the bear they’re going to have to euthanize it,” he said, noting the bear has two cubs that are about 2 years old that will be relocated when they are found.
    The only other resident in the house at the time of the bear attack was Meunier’s 7-year-old daughter, who was startled when she saw her father.
    Meunier’s dog Howie came away from the incident unscathed.
    “He was smarter than I was. He got back in faster than I could,” Meunier said.
    Meunier said he had his stitches removed on Monday, and is currently on a regimen of antibiotics. Daily Press