Mary Gasser Print
Written by Ozaukee Press   
Wednesday, 01 November 2017 17:20

     Lifelong Port Washington resident Mary Gasser Schultz died Tuesday, Oct. 24, at Ellen’s Home assisted living in Port. She was 96.
    Mrs. Schultz was a homemaker who was devoted to her two sons and also helped raise her grandchildren, nieces and nephews at her Spring Street home.
    “She was just your basic mom,” her son Ric said. “She liked cooking, and everything she made was good. She liked flower gardening.”
    She was also a talented seamstress who made Halloween costumes for her sons when they were young. The boys wore them to parties at Port High, where they won the costume contest several times, her son said.
    She held a number of jobs through the years, including waitressing at a number of Port restaurants, the last being the Port Hotel, her son said.
    “When pa got home from work, she’d go to work a couple nights a week,” he said.
    Mrs. Schultz was born in Port on May 2, 1921, the daughter of John and Mary Gasser Gasser.
    She married Ray Schultz at St. Mary’s Catholic Church in Port on Oct. 22, 1949.
    “She was pretty outgoing,” her son said. “She made friends easily and could strike up conversations about all kinds of things.”
    She enjoyed reading, dancing and visiting the family’s vacation property at Castle Rock Lake near the Wisconsin Dells.
    “She used to go up there all the time to get away,” her son said, adding Mrs. Schultz enjoyed boating and waterskiing.
    Mrs. Schultz is survived by her sons Richard (Shirley) of Grafton and James (Jamie) of Port Washington; grandchildren Emily Schultz and Monica (Andrew) Larkin; and a great-grandson.
    She is further survived by her sister Lucy Gasser Hensel of Port Washington and brothers Joe (Jean) Gasser and Ray Gasser, both of Port Washington.
    Mrs. Schultz was preceded in death by her husband Ray, parents John and Mary Gasser, sisters Ann and Margaret, brothers Max, Frank, Ed and John and brother-in-law Mickie.
    Mrs. Schultz’s body was donated to the Medical College of Wisconsin.
    No funeral services were held.