Share this page on facebook
Belgium
Main Street work continues PDF Print E-mail
Community
Written by MITCH MAERSCH   
Thursday, 03 August 2017 15:35

 

Driveways expected to be inaccessible for only one day, contractor says

Officials at a Main Street reconstruction informational meeting last week reiterated they will notify residents before doing road work in front of their driveways.
“We’ll let you know when we’re coming so you can get your car out of the way,” Vinton Construction Co. Area Supr. Tom Amon said.
Vehicles should only need to be moved for one day, Amon told a crowd packing Belgium Village Hall.
Notifications will be done in person or taped to homes’ garage or front doors, he said.
Some mailboxes had to be removed when utility pipe was taken out, but that won’t happen everywhere on the project, Amon said. A few temporary post office boxes have been put on Michael, Maple and Lar-Ann streets, he said.
Access to the post office will remain open unless crews are working in front of it, Amon said.
Garbage pickup for now remains the same.
“Right now they’re letting (garbage trucks) go through,” Public Works Director Dan Birenbaum said.
School buses will be allowed to get through during the project, he said.
Traffic may still access businesses, and the village has put up signs saying so. Beyond that, businesses may put up their own signs, but the village is working out those details first, Birenbaum said.
The street may get darker as the first of the two-phased project moves along.
“If the power poles are in the way of street construction, they’ve got to come down,” Birenbaum said.
Amon said streetlights could be down for a month.
The project has crews putting asphalt over cement, drawing concerns from at least one resident who said cement would be a better material.
Amon said that wasn’t for Vinton to decide.
“The contractor doesn’t have anything to do with it,” he said, adding “You’re bringing up a question that’s been debated for decades.”
Crews will continue to install storm sewer for the next couple of weeks, Birenbaum said, “Then they will start excavating the east end of Main Street and work west.”
Travelers, commuters and local residents are expected to take the detour route. From the west, traffic is to head south on Highway KW, west to Highway A and north on Highway LL back to Main Street.
Birenbaum said he has seen an improvement in traffic taking the detour.
“Truck traffic is much better than it was. You don’t see many trucks going down Park Street anymore,” he said.
The project cost is $6.9 million. State and federal grants will pay 80% of the cost with the county and village splitting the remaining 20%.
The Village Board in April unanimously approved borrowing $4.3 million for its portion of the project, a higher total than its 10% because it includes extra items such as burying the power lines and upgraded street lighting.
The project’s first phase runs from Beech Street east to Highway LL and is expected to last into fall.
The second phase of the project, running from Beech Street west to the village limits, is scheduled to start in spring. That phase has not gone to bid yet, Village Clerk Julie Lesar said.
The next reconstruction informational meeting is scheduled for 1 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 10, at Village Hall.
Amon said he is working on scheduling an early evening meeting for people who can’t attend afternoon sessions.

 
<< Start < Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next > End >>

Page 2 of 404
advertisement
Banner
Banner